England

A.Presman

England

Post by A.Presman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:37

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/l ... 19953.html

London's first board game café set to open its doors in Hackney this year

London's first board game café looks set to open in Hackney this year.

'Draughts' will stock more than 500 games for visitors to play while they enjoy a pint of craft beer and a snack.
Games on offer will include Articulate, Scrabble, Cluedo and Guess Who?, as well as some more obscure choices such as Warhammer Quest and Zombie Dice.
Trained staff will show gamers how to play the more unusual options.
The eatery in Acton Mews, which is modelled on a similar business in Canada called Snakes and Lattes, will charge £3.50 for members and £5 for non-members when it opens its doors in September.
Co-owner Toby Hamand, a freelance sound engineer, quit his full-time job last year to focus on setting up the café with his girlfriend and two friends.
Stevie Parle's Rotorino set to be the River Cafe of east London
He told the Standard: "I have always liked playing games. I think my generation has grown up playing video games. They still enjoy playing them but they do not necessarily want to play them on their computers on their own.

"When I was a kid, [board games] were things that you did with your grandparents but I think they are losing that image. There is a huge revival now. It is kind of cool."
Asked what the reaction had been to the project so far, Mr Hamand, 27, who grew up in Hackney, said: "We have had only positive responses. I do not think anyone can have a problem with it. It is not going to be loud music and people spilling out drunk into the street. Hopefully people will want to try it out."

A crowdfunding page to raise cash for the project on Kickstarter is set to go live for 30 days on August 1.

For more information visit www.draughtslondon.com