Killer draughts

General discussion about draughts and draughts community
Wieger Wesselink

Re: Killer draughts

Post by Wieger Wesselink » Fri May 12, 2017 00:07

On http://10x10.org I have added an article about 119 practical classical 10x10 positions. With the normal rules only 6% of them end in a decision. With killer draughts this becomes 48%. For all positions I added the main variant for both normal and for killer draughts, so they can be compared. Perhaps this will help a little to form an objective opinion about killer draughts.

MLWi

Post by MLWi » Sun May 14, 2017 18:33

I have updated my Killer draughts and Modern draughts ("Killer light") Zillions programs on below links. The code is now somewhat more effective.
Killer draughts
Modern draughts

It would be worthwhile to investigate Wieger's positions for Modern draughts, where the killer rule only takes effect at multiple captures.

Mats

MLWi

Post by MLWi » Mon May 15, 2017 07:31

Of course, I made a hideous programming error in Modern Draughts. Fixed now:
Modern Draughts--improved International Draughts!

You should really consider Juri Anikejev's suggestion. The King must land immediately behind the last captured piece, provided (1) that it is a King and (2) it's a multiple capture sequence. This means that three Kings will win against a lone King. Note that, unlike in Killer Draughts, the halt rule is not valid at single piece capture.

Mats Winther

Fabien Letouzey

Post by Fabien Letouzey » Tue May 16, 2017 08:19

MLWi wrote:You should really consider Juri Anikejev's suggestion. The King must land immediately behind the last captured piece, provided (1) that it is a King and (2) it's a multiple capture sequence. This means that three Kings will win against a lone King. Note that, unlike in Killer Draughts, the halt rule is not valid at single piece capture.
Hi Mats,

You seem to assume that the source of the draw problem is that three kings cannot win in general against one. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case. I made a quick change in Scan's move generator and it appears that, at least at that level, the draw rate in Killer-light is still extremely large.

I will try your proposal for backward captures. There is also the possibility that I made a mistake; I will keep you posted.

Fabien.

Juri

Post by Juri » Mon Jun 26, 2017 16:53

Wieger Wesselink wrote:On http://10x10.org I have added an article about 119 practical classical 10x10 positions. With the normal rules only 6% of them end in a decision. With killer draughts this becomes 48%. For all positions I added the main variant for both normal and for killer draughts, so they can be compared. Perhaps this will help a little to form an objective opinion about killer draughts.
I think, it is a time to organise the first tournament in Killer-draughts.
To see what is it in practice.
http://ru.pokerstrategy.com/#uS7UG6
Lets play Poker, to get for free 50$