Hello from a newbie in Englland

General discussion about draughts and draughts community
AndrewScotchmer

Hello from a newbie in Englland

Post by AndrewScotchmer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 17:57

Hi

I new to draughts and really enjoying the game. I'm 45 and from England. I started playing draughts only a couple of months ago when I thought it would be good to teach my 5 year old son. I'm currently learning English draughts but thinking of moving to international draughts as it seems that more countries play this variant.

I was also wondering what the draught scene is like in England. Countless hours searching the internet has made me wonder if this is a "dead" game here. A lot of the websites I've found seem out of date by several years but maybe I'm looking the wrong places. I'm pleased to see that draughts is strong in other countries though including a weekly column in a national Dutch newspaper. Nothing like that exists in the UK unfortunately.

Anyway hello to everyone.

Andrew

A.Presman

Re: Hello from a newbie in Englland

Post by A.Presman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 22:11

Hello Andrew,

No, draughts isn't dead in England. There are clubs, competitions, some printed editions.
And international game (10x10) in England by far too young to be dead. :)

From which city are you? Maybe I can give you a contact of a nearest club of organisation.
Did you already found
http://fmjd.org/?p=promo ?
And in particular
http://fmjd.org/promo/cid.php
?

AndrewScotchmer

Post by AndrewScotchmer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 21:10

Hello

Thanks for the reply. I did know of FMJD but not that particular page o thank you. I've now signed up to playdraughts.com and started on the Preliminary Draughts Course by Tjalling Goedemoed.

I live in Blackburn Lancashire. I have found out about the Lancashire Drafts Association but several of the email addresses were no longer valid.

Andrew

Moder_20

Post by Moder_20 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 17:49

Heyyy Thanks for reply :)