Draughts / Checkers in the media

General discussion about draughts and draughts community
A.Presman

Draughts / Checkers in the media

Post by A.Presman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 09:16

"Krantenartikelen" ( Newspapers articles ) from the Dutch part of the Forum is by far the most succesful topic in this forum is. With thousands of posts and more than million hits.

I'd like to see the same in the international part of the forum as well.
Hopefully teh enthusiasts as Hanco and Jacques will help there.
Last edited by A.Presman on Fri Dec 15, 2006 09:19, edited 2 times in total.

A.Presman

King: I will regain Three Move Restriction title

Post by A.Presman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 09:18

http://www.barbadosadvocate.com/NewView ... cord=29172

King:
I will regain Three Move Restriction title
Web Posted - Thu Dec 14 2006
BARBADOS
WORLD draughts champion, Ronald Suki King, will be seeking to regain the Three Move Restriction Title (TMRT) currently being held by Alex Moiseyev of the United States of America.
King's thoughts of regaining the Three Move Restriction title comes in the wake of his recent successful defence of the Go As You Please World title against American Jim Morrison.

Formerly undisputed World champion, King lost the TMRT to Moiseyev in 2003. Moiseyev defeated King eight games to three on home turf and followed up this victory by again beating King in 2005 in Ireland.

King is however confident that he can once again bring the TMRT back to Barbados. After my comprehensive victory over Morrison of the United States last week, I will not be resting until I am back on top as the undisputed King of the draughts world,
he said.

King added:
Over the next couple of months, I will be putting in a lot of work in TMR style to prepare myself to challenge the American.

This type of draught is not popular in Barbados like the Go As You Please format, King explained.

However, to this end, I would like the corporate community to come on board and assist in sponsoring some Three Move Restriction Tournament, in order to assist me in my preparation.

This will not only benefit myself, but also other draught players who are not accustomed to this style, he said.

The Barbados Checkers and Draught Federation (BCDF) is in the process of bidding to host the TMRT match in Barbados.

Secretary of the Federation Hazeain King stated that ....
One of the major objectives of the association is to host some of the games throughout the Caribbean. This will certainly help to promote draught among our neighbours and assist in it's growth,
she concluded.

King won the World Qualifier in Stone Haven, Scotland to become the official challenger for the Three Move Restriction World title against current champion Alex Moiseyev of the United States.

King is scheduled to challenge Moiseyev on May 23, 2007. King expressed his thanks to Cable & Wireless for the wonderful support they gave him during his recent Go As You Please title defence against Jim Morrison at the Checker Hall of fame in Petal Mississippi.

He also expressed sincere gratitude to Black Bess and Adams Tours for their assistance.

A.Presman

Post by A.Presman » Wed Dec 20, 2006 09:16

Jacques PERMAL

Post by Jacques PERMAL » Sat Dec 23, 2006 09:26

A. MOISEEV a remporté le tournoi de MINSK 100 cases qui a eu lieu du 25/11 au 03/12.

http://belarus.fmjd.org/modules/news/

1. A. MOISEEV
2. V. MARKOVSKI
3. V. VOROUCHILO
4. I. MIKHALCHENKO
5. A. MATIAVINE

A. MOISEEV alias ALEMO (FORUM SHASHKI)
Information : my first priority !!

L'info en première ligne !!

A.Presman

Post by A.Presman » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:37

Jacques PERMAL wrote:A. MOISEEV a remporté le tournoi de MINSK 100 cases qui a eu lieu du 25/11 au 03/12.

1. A. MOISEEV
2. V. MARKOVSKI
3. V. VOROUCHILO
4. I. MIKHALCHENKO
5. A. MATIAVINE

No, Jacques,
It is another A. Moiseev.
The one on the photo is Alexander Moiseev, living in the USA, world champion checkers.
The winner of the tournament in Minsk ( it was the semi-final of the national championship ) is Andrej Moiseev from Minsk.

Jacques PERMAL

Post by Jacques PERMAL » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:39

A.Presman wrote:
Jacques PERMAL wrote:A. MOISEEV a remporté le tournoi de MINSK 100 cases qui a eu lieu du 25/11 au 03/12.

1. A. MOISEEV
2. V. MARKOVSKI
3. V. VOROUCHILO
4. I. MIKHALCHENKO
5. A. MATIAVINE

No, Jacques,
It is another A. Moiseev.
The one on the photo is Alexander Moiseev, living in the USA, world champion checkers.
The winner of the tournament in Minsk ( it was the semi-final of the national championship ) is Andrej Moiseev from Minsk.
Thanks for the exact information Alexander !!
Information : my first priority !!

L'info en première ligne !!

A.Presman

It's important to exercise more than just your body

Post by A.Presman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:53

Dallas News
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 35ea5.html#

Staying sharp
It's important to exercise more than just your body, says MIKE HASHIMOTO
12:00 AM CST on Thursday, December 28, 2006
I almost skipped past our story Tuesday about Earl Harville. I've assigned enough "holiday evergreens" – valuable mostly for their slow-news-days shelf life – to know one when I see one:
"At 93, he makes all the right moves – Collin County: Checkers champ keeps sharp with 'good, clean' game."
Ho, ho, hum.
But for some reason, I stayed with this one, and by the time I finished reading about Mr. Harville, I felt pretty guilty. Here was that rare holiday evergreen with a real message for my personal brain.
In case you missed it, Mr. Harville is a pleasant fellow who lives near Lake Lavon, about three miles from where he grew up in Culleoka. Back in the day, he managed a grocery store and then worked 32 years for Dow Chemical in Freeport, all the while sharpening his skills at checkers, that jump-you-king-me board game we learned as kids.
His wife's long illness convinced him to leave checkers behind. After her death in 2002, his second wife pushed him to get back in the game. Last month, he won the Majors 2006 Checkers Tournament in Haleyville, Ala.
Ho, ho, hum, right?
Until you get to this: "He said checkers is a game of memory that keeps his mind sharp. He likes it because it's a good, clean game played by good, clean people."
Now I felt really guilty. This story was a reminder to me about my dad.
My dad was always one of the smartest people I'd met, even when he relied a bit more on the stick than the carrot to tutor his eldest son. He remains a smart, funny guy to this day. But at 73, I can see him slowing down.
He had a stroke a few years ago that cost him some of his mobility, slowing his gait and rendering his left arm fairly useless. He still keeps up with sports, and just about everything I know and appreciate about gambling came from him. (Really, there's a bunch of math involved. You have to know the odds to know where the house is stealing the least.)
As usual this Christmas, I asked my mom what might be a good gift for him. Usually, she says, "Oh, he doesn't need anything. How about a jacket?" This year, she vaguely mentioned some Nintendo product that had "brain" in the title.
As little as I know about video games, I was stumped. A little research turned up a Nintendo PS system – which looks to me like a cross between a Game Boy and a very compact laptop – and a game called Brain Age: "Now there's finally a way to make mental exercise simple, fun, even competitive."
Here I'd been encouraging my dad to ride his stationary bike or get out and walk, anything to exercise his body, and admonishing him when he didn't. What I hadn't considered was his brain, which I'd always regarded with a son's mix of dread and admiration. Watching TV and playing cribbage on the computer were fine ways to pass the time, but not enough.
Evidently, other people are figuring this out, too. It was a little bit of a task to lay hands on a Nintendo PS and Brain Age in the same place – who knew this would be such a hot seller this gift-giving season – but I lucked into a big-box retailer in Flower Mound with the system and another store across the street with the software.
Subsequent Googling also led me to an Associated Press report on a study in a recent Journal of the American Medical Association:
"Brief sessions of brain exercise can have long-lasting benefits for the elderly, helping them stay mentally fit for at least five years, one of the most rigorous tests of the 'use-it-or-lose-it' theory suggests. For people age 73 on average, just 10 sessions – less time than it takes to stay physically fit – helped keep their brains sharp."
My dad probably would whack me in the head with his good arm if I called him "elderly." I might get away with informing him that he's a good 20 years from Earl Harville, and look what the brain stimulation from something as simple as checkers has done for him.
Mike Hashimoto is an assistant editorial page editor for The Dallas Morning News.

A.Presman

Checkers players compete in annual tournament

Post by A.Presman » Tue Apr 03, 2007 09:16

http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/200 ... 800600.txt

Checkers players compete in annual tournament

by ashley wiehle, the southern

Donald West of Mayfield, Ky., right, begins to make his move just after his opponent John Grisley, director of the Illinois Checker Association, finishes his during the 102nd Annual Illinois State Checker Tournament at the Illinois Centre Mall in Marion Sunday. (STEVE JAHNKE/THE SOUTHERN)

MARION - Few if any people passing through Illinois Centre Mall this weekend probably realized they were walking by a world champion at work on his craft.

There is little surprise: The world of checkers is much a mystery to the uninitiated, said Gary Ellison, president of the Illinois Checkers Association.

"It's not a spectator sport so a lot of people don't know that much about it," Ellison said.

Alex Moiseyev, the world champion of three-move checkers, participated in the Illinois State Checker Association's state tournament along with 32 other competitive checkers players who were eager to practice their skills against their peers.

Moiseyev says checkers is a wildly popular game at all levels.

"In every American family, there's a checkers board and pieces," Moiseyev said.

That may be true, but the average family is not playing like the professionals. Competitive checkers players read books on strategy and take pride in their skill.

They'll also travel long distances to play with some of the best the country has to offer. A roster of participants at Saturday's event read like a map of the United States: A dozen states were represented.

Albert Tucker and his wife drove from Minden, La., to be in Marion for the tournament. It's a trek they've made not once but twice before.

"We drove 1,000 miles to get here," Tucker said. "That shows how crazy checkers players are."

Probably not crazy, but they are a dedicated bunch. Mount Vernon resident Jennifer Kelton may have had a short drive, but it was a courageous one: She was the only woman signed up in the weekend's tournament.

"I'm losing but I'm hanging in there," Kelton said Saturday.

Losing is still part of learning for checkers players. Kelton was able to learn from her opponents' moves so she'll be all the more prepared in her 11th tournament.

The tournament was "three-move checkers," which means the first three moves each player must make are decided by a randomly drawn card.

Having three pre-selected moves requires the players not to rely on just tried-and-true technique but to be able to adapt and exhibit genuine skill, Ellison said.

"It's unbelievable how much skill is really involved in checkers," Ellison said. "There are so many different moves."

For more information about the Illinois State Checker Association, write to Ellison at Illinois Checker Association, 261 Country Road 500 East, Norris City, IL 62869 or ellison@clearwave.com

ashley.wiehle@thesouthern.com

997-3356 ext. 5807

Published on: Monday, April 2, 2007 7:31 AM CDT

A.Presman

Post by A.Presman » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:56

http://allafrica.com/stories/200704060258.html

Uganda: Draughts - the Origin of the Game

New Vision (Kampala)

April 5, 2007
Posted to the web April 6, 2007

Kalungi Kabuye
Kampala

THERE is not one story on the origins of the board game we know as draughts. According to one such story, it had its origins as checkers, which in Spanish is called damas, a term that also refers to women.

It is thus said, that was because checkers was intended, at least by the colonial Spaniards, to be a simple version of chess that was easy enough for women to play.

Some scholars believe that its origins go back thousands of years, with a form of the game, Alquerque, found in Egypt, dating as early as 600BC.

It is reported that Alquerque boards can be seen carved into the stone slabs which form the roof of the great temple at Kurna, Egypt, which was built in 1400BC, more than 4,000 years ago.

The game is also mentioned, under the name Quirkat, in the Arabic work Kitab-al Aghani, the author of which died in 976AD. Quirkat was first brought to Europe by the Moors during their invasion of Spain.

It was recorded as Alquerque (Spanish form of El-Quirkat) in the Alfonso X Manuscript, which was written between 1251 and 1282 at the command of Alfonso X, King of Leon and Castile. Sometime around 1100, possibly in the South of France, somebody decided to play Alquerque on a Chess board instead of the standard Alquerque board.

The game was played with 12 pieces on each side and was called Fierges or Ferses at first, although this changed to Dames later. When it got to England, it became known as draughts and when it was taken to America, it became checkers.

In Spain and Italy it is known as 'dama,' 'warcaby' in Poland, and as 'das damenspiel' in Germany.

Don't miss the Sunday Vision for the rules of the game and an insert of a draughts board

A.Presman

Post by A.Presman » Fri Apr 27, 2007 09:48

http://www.myzongo.com/Accra-special-To ... ts-in.html

Accra special Top 4 draughts in May 1
Posted: Thursday 26 April 2007

By Nii Atakora

Four of the leading draughts players in the capital will engage in a special Top Four tourney in Accra on Labour Day May 1, 2007 as part of sporting events earmarked to celebrate Ghana’s Golden Jubilee celebrations.

Theophilus Nii Ayi will be up against George Kwaku Afrifa, also known as ‘Kikiway’, while Arday Ayee slot it out with Yaw Kumah in a league format under the sponsorship of Nana Tawiah Dwamena, a philanthropist.

The event will be staged at the Ramia House, Adabraka, which is also the residence of former national champion Mensah Mantey.

It promises to be a keenly contested affair to settle issues once and for all.

Earlier in a similar contest, Nii Ayi trashed Kikiway 10-2 in the final and the former is eager to confirm his status and most especially hold on to the bragging rights.

Kikiway is out for revenge.

Mantey, the former national champion, however, believes Ayi is in the form capable of winning the contest and told Times Sports that the rest of the competitors will have to battle hard to claim the top prize.

Sources close to the other three players confirmed that they have stepped up their preparations for this event and have promised to be at their maximum best in a bid to wrestle the title from the favourite.

All four will surely put up impressive displays to justify their invitation to compete in this tourney and their efforts will not go unrewarded as the sponsor has made available handsome prizes at stake to go with the occasion.

A.Presman

Post by A.Presman » Wed May 02, 2007 06:45

http://www.nationnews.com/story/300440184259952.php

NATION NEWS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Suki' wins on t-t board
Published on: 5/1/07.

by TYRONE EVELYN

WORLD "GO AS YOU PLEASE" champion Ronald "Suki" King is still pushing – but in another sport.

The undisputed world draughts champion surprisingly turned up to play for new team Legends when the Division 3 competition continued at the Table Tennis Centre, Nursery Drive, Constitution Road, St Michael, on Friday night and helped his team to a 4-1 win over the Central Bank.

King won the two sets he played. He first defeated Joel Best 3-1 in the opening set to give Legends an early 1-0 lead, while newspaper journalist Antonio Pilgrim made it 2-0 by blowing away Andrew Rock 3-0. Rock only managed a total of eight games out of the maximum 33.

Legends then lost the third set by default to Cameron Layne, and this was the first and only set won by Central Bank.

King and Pilgrim teamed up in the doubles, and after dropping the first game at 8, they rebounded to take the next three at 6, 6, and 6 as Legends moved into a 3-1 lead.

Pilgrim then wrapped up the match by beating Best 3-1. He won the first two games at 8 and 5, dropped the third one at 5 but won the fourth also at 5 which wrapped up a 4-1 win for Legends.

Diamonds International Henry's Lane, once again spearheaded by the Collymore clan, inflicted a 4-0 defeat on Barbados Union of Teachers (BUT).

Albert Collymore Snr. easily disposed of Maria Haynes at 4, 9 and 7 as Henry's Lane rushed into an early lead.

It became 2-0 when Albert's daughter Lisa showed great determination in overcoming Antoinette Riley.

She was down 2-0, having lost the first two games at 9 and 9, but bounced back in tremendous fashion to overpower Riley by taking the last three games at 7, 3 and 4 which gave her a come-from-behind 3-2 win.

The Collymore clan's dominance continued in the next set which went to Albert Jnr., who blew away Ramon Jackman at 3, 2 and 3, as Henry's Lane went ahead 3-1.

The rout was completed in the doubles which saw Lisa Collymore and Roseanne Butcher teaming up to beat Haynes and Riley 3-0.

In the night's other match, St Matthew's easily disposed of Sharon Junior Club 4-1, with Rakim Hinds winning all three of his sets to spearhead St Matthews' victory.

Results

(Winning teams mentioned first)

Diamonds International Henry's Lane beat BUT 4-0.

Albert Collymore Snr. bt Maria Haynes 11-4, 11-9, 11-7.

Lisa Collymore bt Antoinette Riley 9-11, 9-11, 11-7, 11-3, 11-4.

Albert Collymore Jnr. bt Ramon Jackman 11-3, 11-2, 11-3.

Lisa Collymore and Roseanne Butcher bt Haynes and Riley 12-10, 11-5, 11-3.

Legends beat Central Bank 4-1.

Ronald "Suki" King bt Joel Best 11-8, 8-11, 11-6, 11-9.

Antonio Pilgrim bt Andrew Rock 11-3, 11-3, 11-2.

Legends lost by default to Cameron Layne.

King and Pilgrim bt Best and Rock 8-11, 11-6, 11-6, 11-6.

Antonio Pilgrim bt Joel Best 11-8, 11-5, 5-11, 11-5.

St Matthew's beat Sharon Junior Club 4-1.

Shakeel Richards bt Dillon Clarke-Herbert 12-10, 11-3, 11-4.

Rakim Hinds bt Jermaine Jackman 11-2, 11-3, 9-11, 11-1.

St Matthew's lost by default to Nicholas Jackman.

Richards and Hinds bt Marsha Best and Clarke-Herbert 11-4, 11-3, 11-8.

Rakim Hinds bt Dillon Clarke-Herbert 11-4, 9-11, 11-8, 11-6.

A.Presman

Post by A.Presman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 21:19

Underwater draughts marathon at Qui-Si-SanaBy MaltaMedia News
Aug 25, 2007 - 11:00:58 AM
source:
http://www.maltamedia.com/artman2/publi ... 3198.shtml

Seahorse Diving Club, with the support of Wilkinson Sword, is holding an underwater draughts marathon at Qui-Si-Sana in Sliema until Sunday. The marathon commenced on Friday at 2000 CET . Some 30 scuba divers will play draughts on the seabed for 50 hours non-stop to raise funds in aid of Dar tal-Providenza and the Eden Foundation.

Throughout the event, the public can take taster dives against a donation of Lm5. Participants receive a Wilkinson Sword Quattro shaving system. On Saturday and Sunday, entertainment will be provided by well-known singers from 2000 CET onwards.

“Seahorse Diving Club is proud to support these two organisations in raising awareness and funds to improve the quality of care and rehabilitation process of their service users,” said Jonathan Cassar, the Club’s secretary general.

Lara Scicluna, Marketing Manager for Wilkinson Sword, said, “We are pleased to be associated with such charitable events and do our concrete part for the benefit of people with special needs.”