Unofficial World Championship Of Computer Programs In International Draughts 2023

Discussion about development of draughts in the time of computer and Internet.
Joost Buijs

Re: Unofficial World Championship Of Computer Programs In International Draughts 2023

Post by Joost Buijs » Sat Sep 16, 2023 09:15

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 08:18
Hi Joost,

it's about second and third place and seventh place. Is this the way it is supposed to be and leave it that way or has there been an error (through no fault of my own). The tournament games are ready. I will send it by e-mail.

Krzysztof
Hi Krzysztof,

What do you mean with 'it's about second, third and seventh place'? Is there an error somewhere?

If you can send me the games by mail it will be fine, I want to add them to my game collection. TIA

Joost

Krzysztof Grzelak

Re: Unofficial World Championship Of Computer Programs In International Draughts 2023

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Sat Sep 16, 2023 09:31

Joost Buijs wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 09:15
Hi Krzysztof,

What do you mean with 'it's about second, third and seventh place'? Is there an error somewhere?

If you can send me the games by mail it will be fine, I want to add them to my game collection. TIA

Joost
Hi Joost,

see here https://www.uwccpi2023.draughtsprograms ... es&26.html. The program took two second places in the tournament. The same applies to 7th place in the tournament.

Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs » Sat Sep 16, 2023 09:47

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 09:31
Joost Buijs wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 09:15
Hi Krzysztof,

Joost
Hi Joost,

see here https://www.uwccpi2023.draughtsprograms ... es&26.html. The program took two second places in the tournament. The same applies to 7th place in the tournament.
Aha, now I see what you mean. Presumably a bug in DraughtsArbiter Pro. I wonder why it needs 2 ranking columns anyway. The ranking list seems to be fine though.

Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:06

Joost Buijs wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 09:47
Aha, now I see what you mean. Presumably a bug in DraughtsArbiter Pro. I wonder why it needs 2 ranking columns anyway. The ranking list seems to be fine though.
That's why I'm waiting for the website https://www.uwccpi2023.draughtsprograms ... usion.html to be made available (At my place this page is already ready).

BertTuyt

Post by BertTuyt » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:28

Krzysztof, thanks for organising, and all the time and energy you spent to make this happen.
It was really exciting, when the last round started there were 2 programms leading.
So also congratulations to Ed.

Bert

Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Sat Sep 16, 2023 13:14

A little has become clear. I'll explain what's going on in a moment. I have the final tournament standings (below).

If someone looks at the "Place" section, they will notice that four programs have the same places. In the "S.B" column these are the results with which the program won. Someone will ask questions - where do the same places in the tournament come from (concerning the second and seventh places). I noticed that after selecting the "Tie Break" box in the program (below).

I showed this table (below).

If someone looks at the "S B" section, the coefficient is perfectly equal for four programs ( Damage 16.1, Scan 3.1 - 384, Moby Dam (Jul 12 2023), Sjende Blyn (August 30th,2023) - 357,5). When I remove the "Place" section, I have an image like below.

It's hard to relate to all this right now and make any concrete decision.

Krzysztof

Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Sat Sep 16, 2023 14:16

I think that to the integrity of the tournament what respect for the developers - I will leave the table as it is now.

Krzysztof

Jelle Wiersma

Post by Jelle Wiersma » Sat Sep 16, 2023 15:19

Hi Krzysztof, at your site you mention "the place of the program in the tournament is determined by the greatest number of points scored in the tournament and Sonneborn - Berger".
Based on this, you should only use Total score and 2. Sonneborn-Berger, and omit Number of wins.

Jelle Wiersma

Post by Jelle Wiersma » Sat Sep 16, 2023 15:23

Anyhow, Kingsrow will be at 1, so my congratulations to Ed. And my thanks to Krzysztof for organizing this tournament!

Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Sat Sep 16, 2023 15:50

Jelle Wiersma wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 15:19
Hi Krzysztof, at your site you mention "the place of the program in the tournament is determined by the greatest number of points scored in the tournament and Sonneborn - Berger".
Based on this, you should only use Total score and 2. Sonneborn-Berger, and omit Number of wins.
And what to do (to be fair) when the programs have the same number of games won and the same Sonneborn - Berger coefficient.

Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Sat Sep 16, 2023 16:41

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 17:48
Tournament " The Unofficial World Championship Of Computer Programs In International Draughts 2023 " ended with victory of the program Kingsrow by Edgar Gilbert, in second and third place were simultaneously the programs Damage - Bert Tuyt and Scan - Fabien Letouzey. Congratulations to Edgar Gilbert, Bert Tuyt and Fabien Letouzey. Many thanks to the other participants in the tournament.

For more information about the tournament, please visit the website https://www.uwccpi2023.draughtsprograms.eu/
I would like to inform you that these are the official results of the tournament The Unofficial World Championship Of Computer Programs In International Draughts 2023.

For more information about the tournament, please visit the website https://www.uwccpi2023.draughtsprograms.eu/

Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs » Sat Sep 16, 2023 19:17

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 15:50
Jelle Wiersma wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 15:19
And what to do (to be fair) when the programs have the same number of games won and the same Sonneborn - Berger coefficient.
Hi Krzysztof,

If you want to look at the games won to use as a tie-break you should also take the number of games lost into account. I think the number of points and Sonneborn - Berger is fair, when 2 players have the same number of points and the same SB they should share the same place.

Of course it is up to you as tournament director to decide how you want to handle tie-breaks.

Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Sat Sep 16, 2023 19:36

Joost Buijs wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 19:17
Hi Krzysztof,

If you want to look at the games won to use as a tie-break you should also take the number of games lost into account. I think the number of points and Sonneborn - Berger is fair, when 2 players have the same number of points and the same SB they should share the same place.

Of course it is up to you as tournament director to decide how you want to handle tie-breaks.
I understand and thank you Joost.