Who wins a match between the world champion and a computer?

Discussion about development of draughts in the time of computer and Internet.

Who will win a match between the world champion and a computer?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 18, 2009 06:15

The world champion would win.
38%
The computer would win.
50%
The match would be a tie.
13%

Total votes: 16

mschribr

Post by mschribr » Wed Feb 28, 2007 21:56

Hanco Elenbaas wrote:
mschribr wrote:
Hanco Elenbaas wrote:The world champion will play the match when there will be a serious sponsor.
Which draughts tournament or match generated the greatest interest and why?
I think the greatest interest and publicity had the 1973 Sijbrands-Andreiko match. For matches between man and machine there was never the same interest, mainly because there never were serious sponsors involved.
What made the 1973 Sijbrands Andreiko match interesting? Was it the sponsor? Was it because Russian vs Dutch or because Sijbrands was a young champion?

mschribr

Post by mschribr » Wed Feb 28, 2007 22:10

Bert Zwart wrote:
mschribr wrote:
A.Presman wrote:Popular Russian newspaper Sport Express published after the World championship 2005 an interview with the winner Alexei Chizhov.
http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?111713

Alexei is not only 10-time world champion ( and so the strongest draughts player all time ) but also the computer freak. Therefore his opinion is very interesting

Can you fight the strongest computer program?
Why should I? I won't loose, but I can't win because computer defends phenomenally. He sees all my threats many moves before. And to play blitz games agains computer has no sense, he will never make a serious mistake and certainly will win. Draughts players with self respect use computer as database and sparring partner, first of all for studying of end games. Nobody is planning fight him.
The world champion Alexei Chizhov, also an expert in computers, said in 2005 that he was equal to the computer. So in 2007 draughts programs are smarter. Opening books are bigger. Endgame databases are bigger. Computers are faster. All of these things give draughts programs an increase of at least 30 points a year. Then after 2 years the best draughts program is over 60 points stronger. That should be enough to beat the world champion. If not, then next year the computer will 90 points stronger that will definitely be enough to beat the world champion. Soon the world champion will be too afraid of losing to play the computer. So if we don’t have a man vs computer match now then the opportunity will be lost and we will never have the match.
Mark
If Tsjizjov wants, he can achieve a draw against any object or creature in the universe, in particular against a quantum computer.

The reason is that three kings against one is still a draw.
In practice this means that a game is only likely not to end in a draw if the difference in strength is 250 points or more.
We don’t know how good the computer is. We can only know if they play. Any prediction about the outcome is a guess. 2 things we do know. 1) The computer is getting stronger every year and it will surpass the world champion. 2) Even if the Tsjizjov draws the computer it will be a tough fight.